Well the current World Cup has bought sports on to the spotlight. Numerous jerseys sold, venues packed cheering for their favorite team, endless debates and sleepless nights, all are a part of this craze. There’s something about sports that brings the world together, that also makes everyone hit the gym and get those fabulous abs Cristiano Ronaldo sports.
So here’s the question is sports really as important as it seems or is it just a billion dollar empire? Well studies suggests sports is actually a very important part of our life, regardless the age.
Age appropriate sports participation in organized sports offers the chance for youth to enhance their physical and social skills. Sports offers youth a change from the monotony of their daily life. It is also a useful means of entertainment and physical activity.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports children who play sports are less likely to use drugs and smoke. Female athletes might also be less likely to become pregnant in high school.
Sports is a great way of socializing. How many times do we hear our grandparents and parent tell us story about friends and incidents relating to sports? The answer- most of the time. For children, playing sports can help develop friendships centered on healthy, safe and enjoyable activities. It’s true for adults too. Adults who play sports also have the opportunity to develop friendships centered on an active lifestyle. Team practice and competitions provide socializing options that are healthier and more active compared with regular sessions of other more sedentary activities like drinking and lazing around. Sports can particularly benefit low-income individuals, who might not have the money or resources to socialize outside of playing sports, according to Child Fund International.
Playing sports can help teach honesty, teamwork and fair play. Learning to follow rules and respecting teammates and opponents can also be useful. Experiencing the role of a graceful winner and loser teaches people about being humble, and competition in general can teach individuals about self-respect, confidence and managing stress. Taking on leading roles within your team can also teach leadership.
Health and Career
It is true that a person involved in the sports activities get more strength than the normal person without any physical exercise. A person interested in the sports can develop great body strength. They can even forge a career out of it. Sports are necessary because it brings physical and mental fitness.
- Research proves that half of the students who are inactive in classroom and who spend more time on watching television, computer are overweight and are usually less physically fit, as they don’t engage in activities which burn calories. Hence sports education is very much essential for kids.
- Sports help the student build up the physical abilities such as stamina, power etc which are important not only now but also after taking up your career and prevents you from getting any physical trauma.
- Sport also eliminates mental exhaustion of children. Education is incomplete without sports.
- In sports a person has to take quick decisions depending upon the situation which requires quick mental power that helps in everyday life.
- The positive, direct effects of engaging in regular physical activity are particularly apparent in the prevention of several chronic diseases, including: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension, obesity, depression and osteoporosis.
- The WHO has estimated that “one in four patients visiting a health service has at least one mental, neurological or behavioural disorder, but most of these disorders are neither diagnosed nor treated”. A number of studies have shown that exercise may play a therapeutic role in addressing a number of psychological disorders.
- Physical activity for individuals is a strong means for the prevention of diseases and for nations is a cost-effective method to improve public health across populations.
- Sports have a bright professional career appeal so youths interested in it, do not need to worry and they only need to continue their interested sport with full dedication. It teaches everyone to work in team by developing a sense of cooperation and building team-spirit. More inclination towards sports makes both, a person and a nation, financially healthy strong. So, it should be promoted by the parents, teachers and government of the country.
So keep your books close but sports closer. Go out and get your heart pumping and reap the benefits of a healthy heart and mind.